Friday, August 22, 2008

Record Reviews





Off With Their Heads - From the Bottom - No Idea Records - 2008

Hailing from Minneapolis Minnesota, Off With Their Heads is an on going project that seems to be amateur therapy for Ryan Young, the singer/song writer/guitarist of the band. The turn over of band members is high and the subject matter is dark and often times depressing. This is often the markings of a great band.
People generally relate to and can understand depression and they can connect to heartbreak, as well as those feelings that come from genuinely dark places. The portrait painted by Ryan is that of a depressed, self loathing dirt bag punk. He takes the feelings we all feel and the things we all wish we could do and puts them to words with little to no self consciousness and a blunt delivery that leaves you believing that he has done the things he says he has.
The song writing on this record is definitely Off With Their Heads, but it definitely sounds different enough from their previous releases to continue sounding fresh. The music is rooted in pop-punk, but these aren't Mr T Experience songs. In fact, they're the polar opposite of the MTX.
If you're craving a musical comparison, I'd probably say Rivethead, Dillinger Four, the Arrivals and just a hint of J Church.
Off With Their Heads
No Idea Records






Gaslight Anthem - The 59 Sound - Side One Dummy - 2008

The Gaslight Anthem was a band I almost missed the boat on. I aligned them with a segment of bands that I just couldn't get into, but a good friend of mine wizened me up pretty quickly.
Before this review goes any further, I should probably point out that I'm a pretty big fan of Bruce Springsteen. I've liked his music since I was a little kid and at any given point in my life, I can honestly say that I related to his songs in some way. Clearly, I'm not the only one in the punk scene to feel this way.
The Gaslight Anthem very clearly like Springsteen, which makes their music so much more refreshing. With so many bands copping riffs from the Ramones, NOFX, Jawbreaker, and Hot Water Music, it was great hearing a punk band finding influence in an artist outside the genre that might make "the kids" feel a bit uncomfortable.
The '59 Sound speaks directly to their home state of New Jersey and sing of honest subject matter than any American teenager can relate to. The delivery is straight forward, but yet poetic and musical. Aside from the obvious Springsteen connection, you can hear a strong Tom Petty influence as well as being able to hold their own next to contemporary punks like the Copyrights and Off With Their Heads. The one thing that is significantly more subtle, but I still hear is a casual flirtation with the melodic pop leanings of late 70's pop punkers, the Stranglers.
If you have the coin to drop on a record, I recommend picking up The '59 Sound.
The Gaslight Anthem
Side One Dummy Records

No comments: